"Between his highly-charged vocals and non-stop movement, there’s absolutely no way you’re going to sit or stand still. On top of that, he had some downright aggressive harmonica action going on that was inspiring."
-Ian Kuo (The Status Kuo)
Being born and bred in the desert of Arizona meant that Mike was mighty dusty when he got to the rain-forest of the Pacific Northwest. A decade in notorious Portland, OR left him thoroughly drenched and a whole lot weirder, and a decade abroad has led him to perform in Central American biker bars and crossroads saloons, East-Asian rock-fests for audiences of over 50,000, and recently to Fiji where he thought he would meet his maker during Cyclone Winston (the 2nd most powerful cyclone ever).
Explosive stage presence with complex finger-style guitar, driving rhythms, rack-harmonica, and foot-percussion brings to life fiction, fantasy and the frailty inherent in the human condition into a big sound that you can feel in your bones. Mike holds a mirror up to our beautifully twisted reality and draws us into the tranquilizing and terrifying worlds that exist within his mind.
Mike’s latest release –a concept album entitled The Wilderness-- , is an epic musical fairy tale which has been described as a “fantastical, atmospheric beauty of an album.”, “A true piece of art!”, “William Blake meets Pink Floyd and The Squirrel Nut Zippers”. The Wilderness represents the culmination of a life spent developing not only the wide range of skills it takes to be a great songwriter, musician, and producer, but also a life spent thrusting oneself into the unknown – which is where the story’s hero happens to find himself. Mike’s recent brush with death in Cyclone Winston brought the almost the magical relevance of the story told into sharp focus. Find the album on Mike’s website or any online music retailer, take a look at the cover art, and notice that the Wicked Witch and her minions travel on a storm.
As time and resources become available to him, Mike continues the arduous process of developing The Wilderness into a psychedelic multimedia musical experience. He has already produced several music videos in support of this effort. Find them on Mike’s website or his Youtube page.
"The complete entertainment package. We left feeling happy and uplifted"
-Audience member (Humph Hall-Sydney, AU)
"Mike is the consummate entertainer. Great songwriting teams with superb musicianship -impeccable timing, dynamics, and great showmanship. So much energy as well as quiet subtlety
-Peter Lino (Home Made Jams-AU)
“His collaboration with local musicians demonstrates the power of cross-cultural exchanges on sparking creativity.”
- Courtney Donovan Smith -Compass Magazine
"…the new generational voice of the blues in Taiwan."
-DC Rapier, Blues Society on Taiwan (founder)
Press and other media:
- Taiwan Radio International (interview/album feature)
- Taipei Times (multi-lingual newspaper)
- ICRT Radio (multiple interviews - live, in-studio performances)
- Sunny FM Radio (Interview - live, in-studio performances)
- Multiple television appearances (Taiwan news coverage, Japan travel channel, Family Court TV show,...)
Notable performances and Achievements:
- Composed 300+ songs and instrumentals and 3 musicals
- Ho Hai Yan festivals 2010, 2011, 2013 (50,000+ in attendance) with Chen Mo
- Taipei Fringe Festival 2013
- Blues Cruise Maiden Voyage (Blues Society on Taiwan)
- Rock In Taichung (multiple performances) with Chen Mo
- Ho Hai Yan festival: Jury prize and $25,000nt at Taiwan's 2010 Ho Hai Yan festival with band Chen Mo
- Distinguished Citizens Society singing contest: 1st prize and $60,000ntd
- Golden Indie Awards: Best New Band nomination with band Chen Mo
- Current #1 ranking for singer-songwriter in Taipei on Reverbnation charts.
- Produced The Society of Arozea: A weekly audio variety show for a mysterious organization nominated for multiple awards
- Co-founded Farm Jam -an acoustic music festival in Taiwan proving that musicians and organizers can all make a fair wage
- Gigmaster's top slot for solo artists in Oregon, Southern Washington in mid-late '00s
- Portland, Oregon Rose Festival performance (with Irish band: Swanky Ceili)
- Enviro-tainment as Recycleman: hundreds of shows to promote sustainability
- 2003 - "Basement Troubadour" (short run)
- 2004 - "Too Much Money" (short run)
- 2007 - "-M-" (Experimental EP)
- 2011 - "Chen Mo" with Taiwan band Chen Mo (Golden Indie Awards -Best New Band nomination)
- 2015 - The Wilderness - (September 2015)
- 2017 - Devil Hands